As spring approaches, it’s a great time to pause and take a fresh look at all the resources available to your family. We'd like to remind all subsidized adoptive families to consider taking advantage of free post-adoption support.
Here's the highlights:
All Iowa families with a DHS-subsidized adoption are eligible for free support through Iowa KidsNet's Navigator program. Your family is eligible for post-adoption support services for children age 18 and under, no matter how long a child has been a part of your family.
If you have adopted through DHS and receive Title 19 insurance as part of the adoption agreement or have a future needs statement as part of the adoption agreement, you are also eligible.
The goal of post-adoption support is to keep both your child and family stable by developing a support plan that meets the unique needs and circumstances of your family. For example, your support specialist can:
- Visit your family at your home
- Provide behavior management plans and assistance
- Respond to crisis calls from your family
- Assist and support your family’s relationship with a birth family or kin
- Advocate with schools, DHS and service providers for a child’s treatment or needs
- Coordinate with licensing workers or providers connected to your family
- Connect you to community resources
- Connect you to a local adoption support group
Post-adoption support is flexible! Even if you don’t feel as though your family currently needs additional support, you may want to meet your support specialist and learn more. Then, if you ever do need more support, you already have the resources in place.
Want to know more? Please give us a call at 1.800.243.0756.
Are you a foster or adoptive family? What kind of support resources have been most helpful to you?