Thursday, November 15, 2012

Brenda's Story

Did you know you can be a single parent and also foster or adopt? You might be surprised that we hear that question often! Today's National Adoption Month story is a great reflection from a single mom who brought two children into her heart and home.

Brenda's Story

I had a desire to help kids. When I got to know a couple of Department of Human Services workers, I started by becoming a mentor for over a year. After that I decided to get my foster/adoption license so I could help some kids have a better chance of having someone care for and love them.
 

At first I provided respite care, which was a great way to get used to having kids in my home and learn about different types of kids. As a single mom, this was an adjustment in my life.

My son came to me as a foster son at the age of nine months. Then, on Adoption Saturday in November of 2006, I adopted my son Brett in Webster City. The celebration in the courthouse when many families were adoption at the same time was a great celebration. My son has been a great blessing to me, which include the hard and easy times.

In 2009, I put my license on hold for a short time while I moved from Fort Dodge to Clear Lake. When I was settled in my home I went back to doing foster care. A girl of 20 months was one of my placements. On Valentine's Day of 2011, I adopted my daughter Amber in Mason City with my family there for support.

Being a single mom is a lot of work, but has many blessings. Brett and Amber have helped me as much as I am hopeful that I am helping them. I would recommend that if you have a caring heart to do what you can to help kids in need. They have many things to offer also.


- Brenda

Upcoming Events

A huge congratulations to the amazing families adopting at Adoption Saturday events this weekend in Davenport, Des Moines, Council Bluffs, Sioux City, Webster City, Ottumwa and Waterloo!

0 comments:

Post a Comment