Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Kaylynn's Story


Today's National Adoption Month story is a beautiful reflection from 19-year-old Kaylynn on what it meant to be adopted by her aunt and uncle and her admiration for the impact they have had on her life and in the lives of other kids. 

Thank you to the many relative families in Iowa who come forward when a child they love needs a home!

Kaylynn's Story

"I came to their home in 1997 as a frightened, scared little 3-year-old. My brother, a newborn, had just been discharged from the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. I think at first we were all frightened. They had three children, ages 14, 13 and 10. They were so excited to welcome us!

Our new foster parents were also our aunt and uncle. They watched us play; discover new experiences, loved us and made us feel secure. They sought therapy for me, and helped me to overcome issues I had suffered from my past. Our birth parents continued to work on parenting and addiction issues; to this day they’ve never been able to overcome. The weeks turned into months, the months into years and we were not reunified with our birth parents. 

Our foster parents became mom and dad to us and we don’t remember any different. We were adopted when my brother was two and I was five. Our parents have never shown partiality between any of us five children. We all were loved the same, had the same opportunities in life and they continue to be there for all of us.

I have never thought of my new family as any less than my real family, my mom, dad, brothers and sister. I am so grateful for foster parents (aunt and uncle)! I continue to have an admiration for what my parents have done for my brother and I and continue to do for other children and families in need.

I am currently 19 years old and recently became a mother to a beautiful daughter! I am so grateful I had the opportunity to live in a home where unconditional love was shown and experienced firsthand the difference a healthy mother and father can make."

Thank you for letting me share my story!"

- Kaylynn 


0 comments:

Post a Comment